"If the world were merely seductive, that would be easy. If it were merely challenging, that would be no problem. But I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day." — E.B. White

Friday, August 13, 2010

Walking with friends


Morning walks are a lot more fun lately...
There's a commotion on the farm as everyone gets used to our newest farm family members!
Lotsa bugged out eyes n snorts, squawks, growls n giggles!


Meet our goats ~ " Bert" a pet/companion wether Boer meat goat...



And "Wilma" an Alpine doe who we'll breed for a spring kid and milking!


They are a generous gift from my dear friend Chris, whose son raised them for 4-H and is now off to college.  I've been wanting goats for a looong time but have been nervous as I tend to go overboard n obsess, read too much and then get overwhelmed. Chris, who is newer to horses, says all the time "they're GOATS relax, they're EASY compared to horses!"


She's right - they were raised really well and are a joy to have around. They even come when they're called, follow us around, romp n play with the 2 legged kids! I've milked a friend's goats long ago as part of a farm sitting experience so we'll have to see if I can remember anything next spring. I'm excited to try making yogurt, cheese n soap!

These are my "test" goats... If they and we survive, I bet I'll get more soon!

The kids already have dreams of this for poor Bert!

Please bear with me - I can't get to any of my draft/saved posts on Blogger due to some major bug in my Mac's iphoto program! I have a ton of cute pictures I've been wanting to post... I'll need to get down to the Apple store but that'll take a whole day - which I just can't spare right now. grrr Macs are NOT perfect!

3 comments:

Alison said...

Hello, I just found your blog today, and it looks like you might lead a very interesting life! I also share your ideals about supporting local, diverse farms. Looking forward to seeing more!

Vintage Country Girl said...

I love it! I've always wanted to try and make my own yogurt. Let me know how that goes. Do you have to milk twice a day like cows? When our meat sheep shed their wool in the spring...they look an awful lot like goats!
:-) Love reading about your farm too. I love your background too....I used the same one last spring! Great minds think alike.

brooke said...

Goats are the best pets ever! We adore ours. We just have little pygmy's, but the kids love to play with them. I love how smart they are. (Too smart sometimes, which is why a pen got opened and strawberry's plants eaten to the ground.)