"If the world were merely seductive, that would be easy. If it were merely challenging, that would be no problem. But I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day." — E.B. White

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Garden gatherings

sigh
So much hope sprouts in the spring with a cleared patch of earth...
Now our garden is winding down and it never really even got going as well as I'd imagined. Though there were several failures there were also unexpected successes.

These beans did their thing for the Farmer. I always forget how much better garden grown beans are! There was even a hidden bonus beneath the weeds n beans...





Momma  guinea was trying to set some eggs. Wish I could encourage her but the fox will find her faster than the beans grew! Plus, baby "keets" are notorious for dying from dampness - dew or rains.

 I think my favorite find are the baby Reliance grapes. They're beautiful and delicious!


We did get a few potatoes, piddly peas and lettuce. The carrots and radishes were only so so. The melons, malnurished...



But the tomatoes and peppers are still going strong!

And our drought FINALLY broke! Unfortunately the winds n storms that came brought down a lot of immature pears. I've scavenged the best ones and want to try making pear butter.

I had blamed the drought on our wilting zucchini and cukes but learned too late about hateful squash borers! I mourn my dead pumpkins the most. Fixing that problem sounds daunting. I wanna just quit. waaaaaa


But LOOK ~ these sweet violas volunteered IN the old mortar walls of the farmhouse!

And volunteer sunflowers ~ awwwwww it don't get much better!

I really really want to love veggie gardening... I just do so much better w/flowers. Anyone else out there feel the same??? Next year I might try some straw bale gardening .

7 comments:

Vintage Country Girl said...

I'm with ya! It's about time for the garden to go to sleep for the winter. Our chicken house rests atop the garden only in the winter, but what they leave behind for next year is glorious! Our corn was the best ever. We also had problems with the drought and poor zucchini/cucumbers....and that NEVER happens. You never know what will happen year to year, do ya? I don't know if I like that or not. Wish I had me some of your volunteer sunflowers, though. Beautiful!

Tonya Gunn said...

so much beautiful goodness. I love seeing the grapes.
Warm wishes Tonya

Jayme Goffin, The Coop Keeper said...

Well, this post made me all sorts of happy. The guinea - too fun. The grapes - reminds me that I've been talking about growing grapes for 20 years. Oy. I started veggie gardening, and it morphed into flowers. I want to get more into the vegetable garden again, and then I don't - I'm torn. I love it - but it's so much work - but then I don't plant it - and I miss it. Maybe we just need to accept the fact that it will be a love/hate relationship? My garden is so burnt up from the heat and no rain. Seems pitiful and futile to try to revive it so late in the year.

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

My veg garden just dried up...I got a few cucumbers and one watermelon, oh, one tomato...my green thumb wasn't green.
I love the grapes, we had grapes at are our house! Those look great..and then your flowers...
I love the pictures!!!!
Don't give up! There is always next year!

Alison said...

It's been a tough year for gardening all around the country. But your tomatoes look gorgeous! Our plants are just about dead; it looks like a nightmare in there.

I was just going through some old photos today and thought "the garden always looks so much better in May!" Ah well, every season has its turn.

Lori O'Brien Photography said...

Chickens, goats, weird people from the north... your home is so inviting
even the violas want in!!

Next spring we shall try pumpkins again this time with T.P. rolls
to keep those nasty borers at bay!

Jennifer said...

Just stopping by to say hi and thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment.

Don't feel bad, I never even got STARTED on a vegetable garden this year. I do hope to have one next year though! Your tomatoes look great!