"If the world were merely seductive, that would be easy. If it were merely challenging, that would be no problem. But I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day." — E.B. White

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

weeds







I knew as soon as the first crocus sprouts peeked out... WEEDS would soon follow. I'm not usually a glass 1/2 empty kinda gal but I've been brought to my knees by the green invaders...  Last year's rains (and my unwillingness to face the "Jack and The Beanstalk" growth) lead to a real disaster in the veggie garden especially.
I must admit that I try a lot harder in the flower beds.  I want to be a veggie grower, but I never get as excited about them... Maybe this year?
At the start of each year I vow to keep weeds in check... But I procrastinate, and shazzam, it's too late. This is when I question my organic ideals the most.  To quote Kermit, "It ain't easy being green!"  Oh how I wish I could feign ignorance and sprinkle "Preen" or some such product around my beds... I can't.  All those garden chemicals hurt the very creatures I'm trying to draw to my gardens (and I won't even mention the poor animals they use to test it) . Our farm has both a creek and a "mill race" ( a smaller waterway that led right to the neighboring mill) running through it...  We're blessed with an abundance of wildlife that visit these waterways. Spring peepers and  herons are my favorites. Snapping turtles & muskrats, not so much. Our lawns never had weed n feed or any such help - and it shows.  Now they're a sea of yellow, soon the horrid puff balls... I should be making dandelion salads or steamed lambs quarter (I hear it's like spinach).

I'll try cardboard, plastic, mulch and hoeing in my beds, but I can tell you now where to place your bets...

The weeds   ALWAYS   win.

All I can do is try to see these uninvited plants with more appreciative eyes... but it's hard.

May all your weeds be wildflowers!

No comments: