"If the world were merely seductive, that would be easy. If it were merely challenging, that would be no problem. But I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day." — E.B. White

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

"Earth Days" on PBS




Last night the Farmer and I watched "Earth Days" on PBS... We found it very inspiring and well done. Still, I was impressed that the Farmer sat thru it as tired as he was. This after we just finished attending a local series, "Food Inc.," "King Corn,", "Big River," and, our very favorite "Fresh, The Movie."

We try to follow organic practices on our farm. We could do better. We could do more for the planet. I am inspired to work harder at it. I think that means I need to face reality and my own limitations. I think I expect too much from too many areas in my life. 

I used to presume I could have it all. A cute, clean, well decorated house, bursting w/all that makes a home AND always updated for the seasons... Cute n colorful garden beds and interesting landscaping, always orderly and, mostly, free of weeds. (Numerous) cute pets and critters all living in similarly cute and comfortable abodes with intact fencing. Cutely dressed children who knew they were loved, loved to learn and knew how to keep their rooms cute. Healthy, heartwarming and eye pleasing meals to share with family and friends. Fun activities and trips to capture in a cute scrapbook. 

I'm sure there's more I imagined in my cute life. And, no, I've never done any drugs etc that might have enabled me in this fantasy.  

Watching "Earth Days" helped me to see how foolish (not to mention impossible) this "Better Homes and Gardens" lifestyle is. Foolish for our planet. My Great Grandparents didn't presume to have so much. Great depression etc aside... They had less to manage in their lives and lower expectations. And they did it better. 
This planet doesn't need any more stuff or people (I appreciated that the show highlighted this fundamental issue) . It needs me to spend more time deriving satisfaction from it, as it is. I am abundantly blessed but I don't find satisfaction and peace in all the abundance in my life. Mostly I just find a LOT of work and stress. I feel like a hypocrite as I type... I can't see how to lower my expectations... That's gonna take even MORE work!

Baby steps. That's what I always say when I start a daunting project.

  1. I will empty my house & outbuildings of extras for "just in case days."
  2. I will go to town less and keep trying to use what I have more.
  3.  I will use more cardboard or landscape fabric to block the inevitable and ferocious weeds that farm fields carry to my gardens.
  4. I will use even more shrubs and fewer plants - homesteaders were thrilled with one pioneer rose, veggies and some fruit trees.
  5. I will focus on less but better made stuff.
  6. I will focus on recycling and upcycling more.
  7. I will focus on fewer and more fully enjoyed critters.
  8. I will focus and fewer hobbies and crafts.
  9. I will focus on using my time & energy more purposefully .
  10. I will focus on my family, friends and loved ones feelings, not things.
  11. I will focus on my impact on the planet.

I AM already doing one important thing for Mother Earth-no more babies! ;-)

No comments: