"If the world were merely seductive, that would be easy. If it were merely challenging, that would be no problem. But I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day." — E.B. White

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Celebrating x TEN!


Its a new DECADE!!!


New Years Eve marked the end of a great decade in our family.

Ten years as a farm FAMILY.

from this


and this


to THIS



An awesome Grandma was created 
 celebrating her 60th with newborn Sarah and

JoJos always loved the pool and been a fun Grandma

JoJo learning she's having a grandson (Jack) - so I couldn't travel to a family reunion. 

and rang in her 70th as a Grandma to another grandson, Aden!

Yesterday we celebrated JoJo's 70th 
and Sarah's 10th




I can honestly say that it's been 
one of the hardest
 and certainly THE BEST
decade of my life.


If you'd told me 15 years ago what my life was to become
 I'd never have believed  it.

Giving up life as I'd known it.
Among other things, friends n clients, my business training advanced level riders, owning a "boutique barn" on 10 acres, minutes from the hunt club n highway, with a custom built home and indoor arena.

Even at my old farm  (different dogs) improvements were made by this builder/farmer


To move to a gorgeous part of Maryland I didn't even know existed

with a crazy passionate Irish Italian younger man


weren't we babies ourselves in 2002?!

and have a baby in my late thirties and another at 40!
Buying an abandoned 200 year old shell of a farm
on 115 overgrown acres.

It almost looked better in 1965- it had an intact roof, unlike when we bought it!

Which led to...

Improving the buildings

and house first.




Then, gathering my own eggs.



Milking my own goats.


Making my own hay.


Driving big tractors and equipment.


Planting an orchard


and large vegetable gardens.


Eating homegrown chicken, rabbit or venison.


Watching my Builder/Farmer husband produce great things
while teaching his kids.





Riding with him in his assorted truckS, tractorS, bobcatS, motorcycleS
 or quieter(!) carriageS w/ClydesdaleS!


Going to hunter shows with lotsa littles,


and generally having many unexpected adventures!


Possibly the best is still just
RIDING through my FARM FIELDS with my FAMILY



I've learned many valuable lessons.
One of the most important being...


I've even taken to trying to teach others and host farm tours.


I never dreamed I could be so blessed.
or tired

 I'd bet my amazing Mother is surprised 
at all she's done too!















Can't wait to see the next ten years!


Wishing you ALL many happy surprises in 2014!

5 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

You had a very rich decade! What a beautiful, creative and hard working family. May 2014 be a year full of good health and happiness.

Vintage Country Girl said...

What great pictures...especially the last one. Happy Birthday Sarah!

Lori O'Brien Photography said...

What a post!!! That IS a LOT of change for 10 short years!! You're an amazing woman rich in blessings! Xoxo

4RRanch said...

Looks like a blessed life. Love the family picture all on horses dressed up. That's my dream picture, well, maybe with western attire.

brooke said...

How I loved this post! It's funny how life had such a great plan for us. And I love the picture with all the littles. Pony shows and low key shows build horsemanship and character. A circuit shows do not. Keep up the care and love of that wonderful family.