"If the world were merely seductive, that would be easy. If it were merely challenging, that would be no problem. But I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day." — E.B. White

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Sept 11th & Vintage Frederick Fun


Today is a day to stop and remember all those who lost their lives nine years ago. It still seems so fresh in my mind. My family work in DC and I was so worried... It was just like today - a perfect sunny day full of promise. Before we woke up to the dangers that lurk in the shadows of far away lands.

Today Sarah started her Chinese language classes again in old town Frederick. As we drove in and passed so many flags we discussed the world. She's so grown up now but still I kept it very basic. We have a great country and many have worked and fought to protect it. We have abundant blessings. We must constantly be reminded not to take them all for granted... Or squander them. Our talk even included water as it's been so dry this summer.  We talked about how children live in different countries...

As we approached town the streets were blocked off for "Celebrate Frederick In the Street." It was a fun event with all sorts of attractions... Music, food, a race, shop displays out on the sidewalks... LOTS of eye candy in this gorgeous historic town. It's got a great vibe too and dogs are welcome most everywhere!




LOVE this neat old house with attached garages... It reminds me so much of Europe!

As do these cute red shutters on the old brick townhouse...




Historic markers and details abound!


I am pretty sick of my wild cottage style island bed and have serious lust for something more like this!


While Sarah was in class I shopped and soaked it alllll up.
Bought these adorable vintage hair clips from a new friend. Check them out here http://www.accessoriesofold.typepad.com/



Then as we neared home we stopped once more to visit my friend Bonnie who opens her old barn full of treasures a few times a year... I found a few more vintage Cambells Kids soup mugs for my collection. We use these constantly and after checking out the prices on new Fiesta Ware (Jack broke a few of my old bowls) I felt they were a bargain!


Wishing you all a day of sunshine and things to be thankful for!

5 comments:

Flat Creek Farm said...

Great post! I loved a peek at Vintage Frederick. Your Campbell's kids are adorable.. I soooo remember those! And I love the red check hotpads(?) they're sitting upon.

My flag is still flying... remembering too. -Tammy

Leslie @ Farm Fresh Fun said...

Thanks Tammy! Those are my cherished little napkins... I use them often w/pins weighted w/beads to top pitchers of drinks and keep wasps out! ;-)

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

What fun! I love those Campbell's bowls...we have similar ones and they get used all of the time.

Vintage Country Girl said...

As always you find the cutest things. You also live in the cutest part of the country evah...I think. We definately don't have cute towns like that out here....:-(

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

OH!!! Yes 9/11...there will never be enough words!
You live in such a picturesque setting...I so enjoy walking with you through your blog.
Great Vintage items...I hear Vintage is anything over 50...so I am close to becoming "vintage" myself.
Have a great week!!!
Oh, would you please email me and let me know how the little girl is doing? She has been in my prayers and thoughts lately. Our pastor was cleared this week from his brain tumor...no signs of it returning..Praise God!!!