"If the world were merely seductive, that would be easy. If it were merely challenging, that would be no problem. But I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day." — E.B. White

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Sweet as Pie


Hmm, seems like fate... I was just finishing up some leftover home made berry pie and channeling Ruth Ann, while sneaking in some blog time and I saw her give-away! Go see what she's been up to at Sugar Pie Farmhouse . Her very own e-book adorably titled Watermelon and Fireflies is like a cute GooseBerry book for summer. I've often found a good shot of motivation to cook n clean over there... She makes it sound so noble and fun!  ;-P  Seriously, I do appreciate how she keeps her focus on serving family and The Lord front n center and includes sweet stories and nostalgic pics. And her "Oh, Honey!" s  always remind me of my dear Grandma Betty who said the same thing!  <3

BTW - my pie was super easy to make - just 5 cups mixed berries, gently folded with 1/2 cup sugar mixed w/2T cornstarch, and a premade crust (yeah, I know, but it's soooo nice to have one waiting in the freezer for unplanned berry surplus & little hands eager to "help"). For extra sparkle n crunch I brush milk n sprinkle sugar on top - an Aunt Ruthie tip!

Here's a recipe from Allrecipes.com w/the details. (my Macs not doing links these days!)


  1. In a large mixing bowl, stir together sugar and cornstarch. Add strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries; gently toss until berries are coated. When using frozen fruit allow fruit mixture to stand for 15 to 30 minutes, or until fruit is partially thawed.
  2. Line a 9 inch pie plate with half of the pastry. Stir berry mixture, and transfer to the crust lined pie plate. Top with second crust, and seal and crimp the edge. To prevent overbrowning, cover the edge of the pie with foil.
  3. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 25 minutes when using fresh fruit, 50 minutes for frozen fruit. Remove foil. Bake for an additional 20 to 30 minutes, or until the top is golden. Cool on a wire rack.

4 comments:

Flat Creek Farm said...

Oh yum! I made a mixed berry cobbler on Sunday.. it was a one pan recipe. But pie.. "Oh Honey!".. there is nothing quite like a true homemade pie. Off to check out SPF now.. thanks for the reminder :) And - Thanks for the recipe, and I adore that photo (and the gingham napkins, of course!). -Tammy

Jayme Goffin, The Coop Keeper said...

There's no harm in a store bought crust - it's better than no pie at all!

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Looks wonderful....I love the picture, it just welcomes you to come and stay awhile and visit...wish you were closer and we would just do that!!!
Have a great week...thanks always for your precious comments,
Janette

Lori O'Brien Photography said...

Do you hear a knock at the door? Yep that's me and you had better have some of that pie left for ME!!!!