"If the world were merely seductive, that would be easy. If it were merely challenging, that would be no problem. But I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day." — E.B. White

Friday, June 3, 2011

The Listening Chicken


What do you call yours?
That special reward box or cookie jar...?
 I gather up excess holiday candies and put them in my favorite vintage cookie jar...
When the kids are extra good listeners they earn a visit to
the "Listening Chicken!"
I've learned that its the idea of the chicken that is more intoxicating than the actual treat.
Like all anticipation maybe?

Looking with awe into all those brightly colored candies is the best part. 
Knowing they can pick whatever they want. 
Jelly beans are a favorite. 
Even those settled into the bottom of the jar from last year!
I try hard not to rush them
But its hard not to say "take your candy already!" Geeesh!
Then I remind myself to slow down and share their simple joys.

Speaking of... How cute are these leftover Easter chicks?!
I almost can't bear to eat them...   ;-)



4 comments:

Janie Fox said...

Great idea. I couldn't eat those chicks either, too cute! BTW I want everything in the picture!! haha

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Oh what a great idea! I love this and it reinforces 'good' behavior. I don't like rewarding bad behavior-- but so many parents do.

I see it in the grocery stores--- "stop crying and I'll buy you candy when we check out" or "don't touch this or that and you can have a toy". I just want to shake those parents and tell them to wake up!

I've noticed my own grandkids (not being rewarded for bad behavior) but having a habit of eating junk and candy more than necessary.
The Listening Chicken == would make a great replacement for the urge to spoil appetites.

Treats hidden away inside a dish like this would be out of sight and fruit,fruit leather, nuts and popcorn could be the alternative. Only candy would be inside the Listening Chicken-- and only allowed after other treats have been eaten throughout the week!

Such a great idea! Thanks for posting!

Vintage Country Girl said...

What a great idea. I once had a marble jar when my kids were smaller. Each time I caught them being good or nice to each other, I had them add a vintage marble to a glass canning jar. Once the jar was filled, they got a special treat of their choosing. Your chicken is much cuter than my canning jar!

Flat Creek Farm said...

Fantastic idea! Those chicks are cute, but I'll bet they were delicious too ;) -Tammy